I’ve recently changed my VPS provider. I won’t go into why, that’s a separate post for when I find the time and nerves to write about it.
Given the opportunity of the move, I decided to split my VirtualHost configuration out of a single httpd.conf file into per virtual-host config files. This by chance, is something that I knew that I could do since 1696 but never really realized the advantages of doing so before now.
Anyway, the mistake I made was to assign ServerName in httpd.conf to either a named or aliased VirtualHost. This caused a conflict which was solved as soon as I changed ServerName to something totally irrelevant.